Pamela Powers, a progressive voice for Arizona
Traditionally, war is a messy business– all that blood, sweat, and tears– not to mention danger, death, destruction, dismembered bodies, human suffering, nightmares, guilt, wasted taxpayer dollars, mounting deficit spending… you know the drill. (Pun intended.)
In recent years, the US military-industrial complex has made war less messy and less dangerous, at least for a select group of American soldiers. Drone pilots sit in secure bunkers and, armed with banks of sophisticated computer hardware, “fly” unmanned killing machines.
Drones– killing machines aimed at faceless targets– AKA fellow human beings– thousands of miles away.
No-muss, no-fuss drone warfare is no less deadly, destructive, or perverse than traditional war. It’s just easier, cleaner– just like playing the same violent video game day after day.
Representative Gabrielle Giffords, Tucson Mayor Jonathan Rothschild, and the Davis-Monthan 50 held a press conference recently touting Tucson’s magnificent good fortune to be included on a short list of three possible locations for a drone warfare base at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base. Oh, the joy.
In the Tucson Sentinel’s raw raw footage above and in KVOA’s edited news footage (here), Rothschild, Ron Barber from Giffords’ Office, and D-M 50 business boosters croon about job creation attached to the drone facility.
Of course, in the cheery news coverage, there is no mention of the moral implications of drone warfare or the inherent danger to any city that houses not only a major air force base but also a bomb-making factory and a drone command center. Is this old hippie, liberal Tucson? Really?
We already have a dearth of good-paying jobs in Tucson that are not connected to the military industrial complex. When Rothschild said job creation was going to be one of his top priorities, this is not what I had in mind.
Down with drones.
Give peace a chance.
[tnivideo caption=”Study War No More” credit=”unpromoted”]http://youtu.be/RftZdgE5Vso[/tnivideo]
“No-muss, no-fuss drone warfare is no less deadly, destructive, or perverse than traditional war.”
That is, unless you are on the receiving end.
Killing brown people halfway around the globe and imprisoning brown people here at home are America’s only growth industries.
Sorry Pamela 80% of us dont agree with you. The other 20% is the old liberal hippies who for some reason call themselves part of 99%er’s.
> The other 20% is the old liberal hippies
Yea but we vote 🙂
I’m an old liberal hippie who understands that wars won’t go away whenever we decide not to have a military anymore. Whether it was drones or a new bomber squadron, these are good jobs for Tucson.
Again the liberals stick their heads in the sand as the proverbial ostrich.War is hell and sending drones to do the messy and dangerous work is better than sending in our young boys to die.You can’t have it both ways.Someone must die in war.That is the facts.And it’s better the enemy dies than your sons,fathers and daughters.The enemy won’t care who dies and they proved it with 9/11 and they continue to prove it every day with the human bombs they send into supermarkets and churches.WAKEUP!
Hey can you hook me up with one of the dearth of jobs here in town? Is this a journalism piece or an op-ed. I guess all the Titan Missiles that were here are hippie friendly
The person who wrote this article is a sensationalist fact-spinner and not at all representative of the general opinion of people who consider themselves to be liberals.
Disagree with the wars all you want, I agree. I’d rather have our troops at home. However, while we are in conflict, I want our men and women to have the best available methods to keep themselves alive and well while accomplishing their assigned mission.
Should we be at war? Maybe not, but as long as we are, we should take every step to keep our troops safe.
Aging anti-war hippies quoting John Lennon and pining for their Woodstock days?
Its one thing to be anti-war, but its unrealistic to believe that war goes away just because we gather together in one big group-hug, sing Kumbaya, and declare that guns are bad.
Left-wing loons seriously need a reality check.
No one mentioned Kumbaya.
Though I’ve never actually sung “Kumbaya”, I am reasonably sure that no one ever died from it.
Not sure how these jobs bringing any long term economic security to any where. We have a serious national debt issue because of military overspending in Iraq and Afghanistan and elsewhere. We need to compete in the global manufacturing arena to rebuild our productive base. I guess our politicos want to make sure DM remains viable when the time comes to chop military spending and trust me this will be sooner than later. We need to transition from military jobs to global manufacturing jobs otherwise the we (the whole nation) is toast 😦